LeanSentry OnPremise is a standalone version of the LeanSentry monitoring & diagnostic service, that enterprise customers can deploy inside their environment for for 100% data privacy.
This article covers installing and updating your copy of LeanSentry OnPremise from your Business tier account.
Installing LeanSentry OnPremise for the first time
LeanSentry OnPremise is offered as a standalone installation package, which sets up the entire LeanSentry system on a virtual machine you supply.
IMPORTANT: In order for us to activate your OnPremise account, we require access to the VM. Contact support for more information.
LeanSentry OnPremise VM system requirements
To install a LeanSentry OnPremise deployment, you'll need the following:
- A VM running Windows Server 2012+, with .NET Framework 4.0 installed.
- Recommended hardware requirements: 16Gb of RAM, 4+ core CPU. Similar to: Amazon EC2 m3.xlarge instance or Windows Azure Large (A3) instance.
- Disk space: 200Gb available on C: drive.
- IMPORTANT: Install LeanSentry OnPremise on its own dedicated VM. LeanSentry OnPremise will configure your VM for its own use, which may be incompatible with other application tasks running on it. DO NOT install LeanSentry OnPremise on your production servers.
- For production use, WE DO NOT RECOMMEND installing SQL server that will store your LeanSentry OnPremise data on the same VM.
If you have questions about the installation, please email us.
Create your first LeanSentry OnPremise deployment
To get started, create your OnPremise deployment in the LeanSentry OnPremise portal:
- Log in to your LeanSentry account.
- Click "OnPremise" to go to the OnPremise portal.
- Click "Create a new deployment".
- Provide the requested information to configure your deployment prior to download.
At this point, you'll be taken to a form asking for key information for this deployment.
Once you submit this form, your LeanSentry OnPremise deployment will be ready to deploy.
Installing LeanSentry OnPremise
To install the LeanSentry OnPremise deployment you just created, you will need to:
- Provision a VM (see system requirements above). This VM will host the LeanSentry OnPremise data, expose a dashboard for your team, and receive the data sent by LeanSentry monitoring services on your servers.
- Prepare a SQL server that will host the data for this deployment, and make sure its network-reachable from the VM.
- Download the LeanSentry OnPremise setup from your deployment page.
- Run the installer on the VM.
The installer should take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes to complete the initial installation.
Once done, it will open your dashboard for your initial login.
Configuring your LeanSentry OnPremise dashboard for the first time
After LeanSentry OnPremise is installed, it will open the dashboard to allow you to log in and begin using LeanSentry.
- Be sure to log in with your LeanSentry account email, and the temporary password provided on the LeanSentry OnPremise deployment page from where you downloaded this installation.
Once logged in, we recommend you follow the Get started checklist to prepare your deployment for use.
This includes some of the following steps:
- Change the master account password.
- Invite your team members to the dashboard.
- Create your first LeanSentry environment and configure it to monitor the OnPremise VM itself. This will help us troubleshoot any issues with our services if this is necessary in the future.
- Create your actual LeanSentry environments to begin monitoring your internal servers.
Updating your LeanSentry OnPremise installation
To update your installation, log in to your OnPremise portal and locate your LeanSentry OnPremise deployment.
IMPORTANT: Be sure to select the deployment that matches the LeanSentry OnPremise installation you'll be updating.
- Re-download the installer and run it on the VM to perform an in-place upgrade.
- Once upgraded, upgrade the monitoring services on your servers. We do not currently automatically update the monitoring services whenever you install the new LeanSentry OnPremise build.
- Go to environment settings for each of your LeanSentry environments inside your local LeanSentry OnPremise dashboard, and download the new service installer.
- Run it on each server being monitored by this environment
NOTE: You can use the new cmdline package to perform automated upgrades of multiple servers in your envirohnment.