This document lists the common problems that users may experience when deploying & using LeanSentry OnPremise, and provides steps to resolve them.
You deploy LeanSentry OnPremise by creating a deployment entry in the LeanSentry OnPremise Portal, downloading the installer, and installing it on a VM in your environment.
WARNING: Be careful when configuring your LeanSentry OnPremise deployment, making sure to provide the correct hostname for the LeanSentry VM, SQL server, and SMTP relay. You cannot currently modify these settings after creating the deployment.
1. Installation requirements
LeanSentry OnPremise should be installed on a dedicated server/VM in your environment, separate from other applications.
WARNING: DO NOT INSTALL ON YOUR PRODUCTION SERVERS. LeanSentry OnPremise should be installed on a separate VM, and will download agents from its dashboard to install on the servers you are monitoring.
The installation requirements are:
- A VM running Windows Server 2012+, with .NET Framework 4.0 installed.
- Recommended hardware requirements: 16Gb of RAM, 4+ core CPU. Similar to: Amazon EC2 m3.xlarge instance or Windows Azure Large (A3) instance.
- Disk space: 200Gb available on C: drive.
- An available SMTP relay for sending system and alert emails. Make sure your SMTP settings are correct when creating your OnPremise deployment.
- An available SQL server. This server will host the data for your LeanSentry OnPremise instance. WARNING: If you do not have a SQL server available, we will install SQL Express automatically. However, SQL Express has a 10Gb database limitation which can be exceeded as early as a few weeks into operation for many environments.
- The OnPremise VM must be HTTP/HTTPS reachable from the server(s) you will be monitoring.
- The OnPremise VM must be HTTP/HTTPS reachable by your users, who will use the web-based dashboard hosted on the VM to access LeanSentry.
2. Installation fails
If installation fails, please firstname.lastname@example.org with the installation log file located at %systemdrive%\LeanServer\Temp\log.txt.
3. Applying updates
To determine whether updates to your LeanSentry OnPremise installation are available, please email us at email@example.com.
To download and apply the update, log in to the LeanSentry OnPremise Portal and select your deployment:
- Re-download the installation package.
- Run the installer on the OnPremise VM. This will automatically apply the update.
- IMPORTANT: To update your monitoring services, re-download the monitoring service installers for each environment and execute them on each server where monitoring agents are installed in order to perform the update.
NOTE: Your existing environments and data is preserved when applying the LeanSentry OnPremise updates.
1. Monitoring service installation fails
If you are installing the LeanSentry Monitoring service(s) on your servers, and the installation fails, send us the installation logfiles to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The installation logfiles are available in %programfiles%\leanserver\updater\log directory on the server where the LeanSentry Monitoring service installation took place.
2. Monitoring service installation is unable to contact your OnPremise endpoint.
When you install the LeanSentry Monitoring service on your server(s), they must be able to reach the endpoint located on your OnPremise VM in order to install/function.
This connection is performed by using the hostname for the OnPremise VM that you specify when creating your OnPremise deployment in the LeanSentry OnPremise Portal. To resolve this, you must resolve the name resolution/network/firewall connectivity problem that is preventing this connection from taking place.
Perform the following test first:
If there is a name resolution failure, you can resolve it by placing an entry in the HOSTS file to resolve the <OnPremiseHostname> to the IP address of the LeanSentry OnPremise installation.
3. Alert/insight emails are not being sent.
If you are not receiving any emails from LeanSentry, check the following:
- Make sure your SMTP settings are configured correctly for your deployment in the LeanSentry OnPremise Portal.
Check that the SMTP hostname, port, and username are set correctly for your SMTP relay.
To report issues, please send them to email@example.com. To assist us in troubleshooting when reporting issues, include the following information:
1. Dashboard issues
2. Status file
Download the status file from your dashboard and send it to us.
The file can be downloaded here
3. Additional log files
When requested, you may need to provide additional log files to help us troubleshoot system issues.
These log files are located in: